If you are a Canadian Citizen between the ages of 18 to 27, we are offering you an amazing opportunity to join one of Canada’s only youth national Board of Directors.
Deadline for nominations is by end of day on Friday September 7th, 2012.
If you are not 18 to 27, do not despair. We would like to ask you forward this email to someone you know who might be interested, and to visit our website at www.youcan.ca to find out how you can become involved with YOUCAN in many other exciting ways. We would also like to invite you to attend our Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Edmonton Alberta, Friday, October 19th, 2012 at our YOUCAN Edmonton Offices (11124 – 130th Street), 5:30 pm – 7pm. Please call us at 1-888-4YOUCAN (496-8226) to RSVP or for further details.
Please check out our new and improved website – www.youcan.ca for photos and reports on current and past YOUCAN events and activities. Our recently launched website is the dynamic portal to your YOUCAN community and network of youth taking action in peacebuilding both in Canada and globally. We look forward to continuing to work with you to make our communities safer, stronger and more peaceful places to live.
If you have any questions about YOUCAN, please don’t hesitate to contact me at any time.
Thanks and in peace,
Past Chair, YOUCAN Board of Directors Nomination of Directors for YOUCAN’s National Board
This is your amazing opportunity to be a member of YOUCAN’s National Board of Directors.
If you are a Canadian citizen between the ages of 18 to 27, we invite you to consider joining one of Canada’s uniquely for-youth, by-youth national boards.
Who? YOUCAN welcomes your application for one of our open positions on our national board. If you meet the following criteria and are interested in joining the board, please submit your application to the YOUCAN national office no later than end of day on Friday September 7th, 2012.
What? YOUCAN’s mission is to equip and inspire youth to peacefully resolve conflicts and to develop healthy relationships in their communities. YOUCAN is a youth organization whose governing body is a Board of Directors. The board is composed of YOUCAN members from across the country who are responsible for setting YOUCAN’s vision and providing effective governance for the organization. This year, we have up to 5 positions up for election. We value diversity and encourage participants from a wide variety of backgrounds to apply, including those from traditionally under-represented communities. As YOUCAN continues to grow, applicants with marketing/ social media experience, public relations, strategic planning, fundraising experience and French language ability would be most welcome.
Where? All applications should be sent: 1. via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org; or 2. via fax to (613) 235-5801; or 3. via mail to: YOUCAN Nominations Committee c/o Saint Paul University 223 Main Street Ottawa, Ontario K1S 1C4 Please note that mailed in submissions must be received at the office by the end of the day on Friday September 7th, 2012.
Why? YOUCAN prides itself on being an organization that is run for-youth-by-youth. As such, we try to recruit as many diverse youth to our board as possible. The greater the representation and experience we have on our board, the better and more informed the board’s decisions will be.
How? Each year we hold an election prior to our Annual General Meeting (AGM), provided we have vacant positions on our board, where our entire membership is invited to vote. Board members are elected to YOUCAN’s board for two-year terms.
Still interested? In order to qualify for a board position, you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen between the ages 18-27
- Demonstrate dedication and commitment to promoting youth-led initiatives in non-violent conflict resolution and peacebuilding; • Have a strong interest in board and governance issues;
- Be available to contribute 20 hours per month for committee meetings and work that is required between board meetings;
- commit to attend two in-person meetings per year (held on weekends to accommodate students and work schedules), and one monthly conference call Please note that expenses directly related to the conduct of board business are paid for entirely by YOUCAN (flight, hotel, meals, etc.) according to our expenses policy.
Nomination Application: All applications should be submitted to email@example.com by end of day of Friday September 7th, 2012. Please note: your answers will be distributed to our membership to help them in the voting process.
We ask that you send your resume (CV) as well as a typed response to the following questions:
- Your name, address, phone #, email and other contact info.
- In 10 lines or less please help us get to know you, your interests, your hobbies and hopes for the future.
- In 10 lines or less, please discuss your interest in board governance and strategic planning work rather than pursuing other volunteer opportunities with YOUCAN.
- In 10 lines or less please explain how you hope to make a difference in Canada through becoming involved in our organization as an official director on our national board.
What Next? Now that you’ve submitted your application, what happens next? The Nominations & Awards Committee will review all applications that are submitted. All nominees will be contacted prior to the AGM. For more information on what our board does please visit our web-site at www.youcan.ca or call YOUCAN at 1-888-496-8226.