The Canadian Friend is currently published three times a year to further the work and witness of the Religious Society of Friends in Canada.
Submissions on almost any topic of potential interest to Canadian Quakers are always welcome. Here are detailed Submission Guidelines. These are the basics:
- Article should generally be between 500-1200 words. Photos and art submissions are also welcome.
- If you have never read an issue, please do so before submitting. Visit the magazine’s main page and scroll down for an archive with the latest issues.
- Send submissions and inquiries to the editor ( or c/o CYM Office, 91A Fourth Ave, Ottawa ON, K1S 2L1, Canada).
- Send electronic submissions as a document file (MS-Word, Open Office, etc, but not a PDF). Put your name and Meeting or affiliation on the document. Format it simply and legibly.
- Please consider images that could accompany any article you submit. Send images as separate attachments; do not insert them into document files.
- For due dates and when subscribers can expect to receive upcoming issues, scroll down or jump straight to our publication Timelines.
Placing an advertisement in The Canadian Friend puts you in touch with the members and regular attenders of Quaker Meetings and Worship Groups across Canada. There are around 1000 print and electronic subscribers at this time, with some additional online readers.
|Ad size||Single issue||Multiple issues|
One-page colour ads are available for an additional $150 printing surcharge.
Canadian Yearly Meeting and its committees and bodies do not pay for black and white ads.
How to Submit Ads
- Contact the editor () for inquiries, questions, or to arrange advertisements.
- An archive with the latest issues is available.
- Even if you are only paying for a black-and-white print ad, you are welcome to submit a colour file for the electronic version.
- The magazine’s pages are a standard 8.5×11 inches in size.
- For all but classifieds, please submit high quality PDF or image files (JPGs or another common image type) at the size they will appear in, as a minimum. (For example, a PDF or image file of a full-page ad should be 8.5×11 inches in size, when viewed at 100% scale.)
- Ad images or backgrounds can run to the edge of the page, but leave at least a half inch margin for words.
- PDFs are usually best, but because exotic or artistic fonts increasingly don’t get properly embedded in PDFs, please include a screenshot for reference if you are submitting a PDF.
- The editor can assist CYM committees and bodies with layout and wording, if desired. All others should generally submit a file with the final wording and layout, usually after having discussed the ad with the editor ().
- Scroll down for due dates and when subscribers can expect to receive upcoming issues.
Here’s the timeline for the next couple of issues:
Subscribers should receive Winter Issue
Due date for Summer Issue
Subscribers should receive Summer Issue
Due date for the Autumn Issue
Subscribers should receive Fall Issue