It’s time to try something new.
The last few weeks have seen some remarkable movement activity — the US Do the Math tour, India Beyond Coal, and the Arab Youth Climate Movement. These efforts have been game-changing and are mobilizing tens of thousands of people worldwide.
While we’ve made inspiring progress, nothing we’ve done so far as a movement has been quite large enough. That’s the hard truth. To take on this planetary climate crisis, we need to create truly transformative change.
Global Power Shift (GPS) will be a multi-pronged project to scale up our movement andestablish a new course, like never before. The basic plan is this:
- In June of 2013, 500 of us will gather in Turkey — from leaders to engaged community members
- We’ll train in grassroots and digital organizing, share our stories, and chart a strategy for the coming year
- Attendees will then return to their home countries in teams to organize mobilizations
- These national or regional events will be launchpads for new, highly-coordinated campaigns targeting political and corporate levers of power
- Together, we will truly shift the power and spark the kind of visionary transformation we need to fight the climate crisis
In other words, 2013 is going to be our biggest year yet: www.globalpowershift.org.
Not everyone will be able to attend the gathering in Istanbul, so we’re asking interested individuals to apply. This will ensure that a great diversity of folks are able to attend and see through the full GPS vision — from Turkey to national mobilizations worldwide. Even if we can’t meet you in Turkey, we’ll need all hands on deck to be part of the massive organizing work that will take place throughout 2013. So get ready!
Power Shift was established in the US in 2007. Since then it has mobilized thousands of youth and received national attention.
We’ve never undertaken a project like this before, but believe now is the time to take it worldwide. We hope you’ll join us.
Let’s shift the power!
350.org Global Campaigns Director