The Atlantic Friends Gathering is an annual get together for Quakers in the Atlantic Provinces – and for anyone who would like to join us.
We meet by the ocean at Camp Geddie over the May long weekend, from Friday, May 17 to Monday noon, May 20th. There are lots of workshops and fun activities.
Please check it out at atlantic.quaker.ca/afg to find out about the program for AFG 2019. You can register on-line and get a reduced rate before May 10th.
The theme this year is “That of God in Everyone and Every Thing: A Call to Quakers for Environmental Action”.
We have 5 guest speakers, as well as our own local leaders.
The guest speakers are:
- Cameron Fraser, Canadian Yearly Meeting Secretary
- Judy Loo, International Biodiversity scientist
- Verena Tan, Canadian Friends Service Committee staff
- Joanna Bull & Meghan McMorris, Ecology Action Centre staff
- Plus Atlantic Canada Friends with much to share on the environment
The 2019 spring gathering of Western Half-Yearly Meeting will take place on the May long weekend (May 17-20) at the Sorrento Centre east of Kamloops. We invite all Friends and friends of Friends to join us in this vibrant gathering of Western Friends.
Registration is at whym-registration.ca, along with more information available there about costs, accommodation, etc.
Please note that the deadline to register is May 1.
This year’s gathering will have a theme of rising up in difficult times and will include an interactive workshop, led by Meredith Egan on Saturday evening, on “Taking Care of Creation: Self-Care in these Savage Times.”
The usual items will all be included in the Half-Yearly Meeting schedule – worship-sharing groups, special interest groups, Meetings for Worship including business Meetings, and the phenomenal Family Night sharing of talents and fun. There will also be the traditional “retreat day” on the Friday of the long weekend, for those who are able to arrive early.
To see the schedule, agenda, and welcome letter for Western Half-Yearly Meeting, please visit the Spring WHYM 2019 page on the business side of our site. (Note that you will be prompted to login into the business section of our website, or create an account, to see that page).
Are you considering how to nurture your spiritual growth this year?
We invite you to consider a grant or loan to attend a Quaker conference or gathering, make a sojourn to Pendle Hill, or take some time off to write or create!
Canadian Yearly Meeting’s (CYM) Education and Outreach (E&O) Committee would like members and attenders to explore the use of CYM grants and loans for their Quaker education. Do you want to learn more? Go to our
Quaker Funding page.
- E&O will be considering applications at their Spring 2019 Committee meeting. Funds are limited, and applications received by then will be given priority.
- Applicants require a Minute of Support from their Monthly Meeting; in many cases, this will need to be on the February Meeting for Business agenda. A Minute of Support can provide an applicant with clearness and support for their leading. A Meeting may also choose to offer additional funding to support such an initiative.
- Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence can also be physically sent to Education and Outreach Grants and Loans Officer c/o Canadian Yearly Meeting 91A Fourth Ave. Ottawa, ON K1S 2L1
Please consider applying by reviewing the E&O grants and loans options and engaging in discernment!
Quakers in Canada will be hosting an online course this February and March called “Introduction to Quakers and Friends’ Ways.” For further information about the course, please see this document here.
If you’d like to enroll, the sign-up form is here (soft deadline of February 3rd):
Meanwhile, if you have any further questions, please feel free to write to email@example.com.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
In 2019, Canadian Yearly Meeting will be held August 2-10, at Canadian Mennonite University, in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Canadian Yearly Meeting (CYM) is a gathering once a year for all Canadian Quakers. Its Business Meetings are the main decision-making body of Quakers in Canada.
There’s also lots of time for fun and games, and sessions focusing on spiritual development, social justice, and Quaker history.
Registration – and scads of information – will be posted here once it’s available.
For those who really love planning ahead:
Yearly Meeting 2020 will take place August 7-15 at Canadian Mennonite University, Winnipeg, MB.
Yearly Meeting 2021 will take place August 6-14 at Canadian Mennonite University, Winnipeg, MB.