The next Representative Meeting will be held May 15, 2021, while the next CYM Meeting for Worship for Business will be on June 12. Both will be held online – details will be here, on the business homepage – and both will start at 1:30pm eastern daylight time.
CYM will engage in a threshing process to prepare for the February 6 CYM Meeting for Worship for Business, which includes a proposal to lay down the food co-op.
For details, see:
Recommendation to Lay Down the CYM Food Co-op (PDF)
Two threshing sessions are scheduled to accommodate Friends across the 5 time zones, and work/life schedules. Friends are asked to only attend one of the two sessions. The CYM Secretary will clerk the meetings.
Times for Two Threshing Sessions
- Session 1 – Saturday 30 January, 2021
- 2:30-4:30pm Newfoundland and Labrador
- 2:00-4:00pm Atlantic
- 1:00-3:00pm Eastern
- 12:00-2:00pm Central
- 11:00am-1:00ppm Mountain
- 10:00am-12:00pm Pacific
- Session 2 – Monday 1 February, 2021
- 7:30-9:30pm Newfoundland and Labrador
- 7:00-9:00pm Atlantic
- 6:00-8:00pm Eastern
- 5:00-7:00pm Central
- 4:00-6:00pm Mountain
- 3:00-5:00pm Pacific
- Worship sharing re: Food Co-op
- Minuting the sense of the threshing session
- Closing Worship
How to Join
Please use the following Zoom information to join the Threshing Session.
Joining by computer:
Meeting ID: 906 107 6645
Joining by Phone:
Meeting ID: 906 107 6645
|Calgary||+1 587 328 1099|
|Manitoba||+1 204 272 7920|
|Montreal||+1 438 809 7799|
|Toronto||+1 647 374 4685 or +1 647 558 0588|
|Vancouver||+1 778 907 2071|
CYM Clerks and Staff
It is that time of year again when we look at the needs of our Yearly Meeting and consider how we and those known to us may be of service through our nominations process.
2020 has been a difficult year in many respects, but there have been many uplifting times as well. As a Yearly Meeting we have adapted to a new way of being together and of conducting our Business. However, not being able to sit together to chat or discuss issues of importance takes a toll on our sense of community. This is also a concern for the CYM Nominating Committee as we seek nominations from within our community to fill the roles that allow CYM to do our work.
Each year Canadian Yearly Meeting names people from across the country to serve on standing committees and in individual positions in the Yearly Meeting. We ask these people to carry out, on our behalf, the work of the Society, and to provide support to those Friends working in social justice, ecumenism, and wider Quaker and world affairs.
We ask that Monthly Meetings and Standing Committees to discern and forward names to CYM Nominating Committee as we discern a slate of names to bring to CYM or Representative Meeting for approval. Recommendations of Monthly Meetings and Standing Committees are crucial to the work of CYM Nominating Committee, to ensure that the work is shared among all meetings according to the abilities and interests of members.
Please take a look at the 2021 Nominations Package (PDF), which includes:
1) Guidelines for Monthly Meetings
2) List of Vacancies
3) Friends Currently Serving CYM Who Are Eligible for Renomination
4) Nomination Form – also available as a separate DOC file, to be more easily filled out
5) CYM Nominations Timeline
6) Friends Serving CYM (as of January 27*), which is a separate PDF
*The most recent official list can always be found on the Friends Serving CYM page.
CYM Clerks Committee is organizing a threshing session to consider the future of Food Co-op and to discern whether a recommendation to lay it down is the right way forward.
The report and recommendation can be found on page two of this document:
2021 Threshing Session on Food Coop (PDF)
Please go to this Doodle Poll to assist us in scheduling the threshing session, ahead of this business coming to the floor of the CYM Session on February 6, 2021.
The Doodle Poll will close at midnight on Monday January 25. The best day and time will then be published as part of an additional invitation for Friends to attend this threshing session.
As we face another year without an in-person Yearly Meeting, Clerks’ Committee have planned two virtual CYM Meetings for Worship for Business on January 23 and February 6 at 1:30 p.m. eastern time (10:30 pacific, 11:30 mountain, 12:30 central, 2:30 atlantic).
Please attend, and please encourage other Friends to join you! We especially need help inviting Friends who are less plugged into online happenings.
Why do business online?
The online version of CYM 2020 did not involve business sessions, but focussed on on spiritual development, opportunities to socialize and connect, and workshops on social and environmental justice. Extra sessions of Representative Meeting covered necessary business, but now we need to do CYM business which can only be done at CYM – in particular, to consider reforms proposed by the Change and Sustainable Transformation (CAST) working group.
For a fuller explanation of this decision, please see this CYM Clerk’s letter:
Clerk’s Message – Invitation to Virtual Business (PDF)
All the documents you will need to participate in an informed way at these sessions will be posted to Documents in Advance as they arrive.
How to Join
Again, the meetings will be January 23 and February 6 at 1:30 p.m. eastern time (10:30 pacific, 11:30 mountain, 12:30 central, 2:30 atlantic). They are scheduled to last 3.5 hours.
Here is the Zoom link to join these sessions:
Meeting ID: 906 107 6645
Mobile users should be able to tap on this inscrutable code to join by phone:
Landline users can join by calling whichever area code is closest to them. (Please note that long distance charges may apply, depending on your plan and whether your phone company considers the closest area code a local call.)
|Toronto||647-374-4685 or 647-558-0588|
After dialing, , when prompted, enter 906 107 6645# for the Meeting ID and 4107169# as the password. To mute or unmute during the call, press 6*, and to ‘raise hand’ press *9.
We ask Friends to reach out to encourage and support Friends who have little or no experience with Zoom.
Help is also available from the CYM Office. Administration Staff will hold “Open-Office Zoom Hours” to help Friends with trouble-shooting and explain the CYM Zoom protocols. Here’s the schedule:
Thursday January 14
12:30 – 3:30 pm Atlantic
11:30 am – 2:30 pm Eastern
10:30 am – 1:30 pm Central
9:30 am – 12:30 pm Mountain
8:30 – 11:30 am Pacific
Tuesday January 19
12:30 – 2:00 pm Atlantic
11:30 am – 1:00 pm Eastern
10:30 am – 12:00 pm Central
9:30 – 11:00 am Mountain
8:30 – 10:00 am Pacific
We encourage Friends who are joining Zoom for the first time to connect with a staff person by phone for assistance in downloading and accessing Zoom. To seek individual support from a staff member, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-516-3625.
There is also a detailed manual explaining how to use Zoom for these CYM Business Meetings:
CYM Zoom Manual for Business Meeting (PDF)
The July 2020 letter from Contributions Committee, which was mailed to many Friends and which discusses donations and digital accessibility, is now available online:
Letter from Contributions Committee (PDF)
Hello Friends in CYM,
This post is to inform you of the work of the Change and Sustainable Transformation Working Group (CAST) of Canadian Yearly Meeting and to bring our initial recommendations to you.
CAST was established in March 2020 with a mandate from Representative Meeting in February, as follows.
- Identify commonalities and themes from the national consultation of the Ad Hoc Committee on Financial Sustainability and draw on other resources to draft:
- a description of the purpose of CYM;
- a list of CYM’s needs and priorities;
- a list of associated programs and services; and
- proposed next steps for possible adjustments based on the above.
- Plan and engage in a process to bring forward the above drafts for documents in advance for 2020 CYM in Session to move this work forward after 2020 CYM in Session.
- After CYM in Session:
- correlate the identified priorities, programs, and services with costs and our financial reality;
- communicate the financial limitations to pertinent CYM committees;
- present recommendations to Finance Committee; and
- report and present matters to Representatives Meeting in November 2020.
- Support ongoing communication flow regarding the progress of the work, especially with CYM and Monthly Meetings.
- Continue to support ongoing organizational transformation and the sustainability of CYM grounded in Quaker faith, practice, and process.
Draft Statement of CYM Purpose
A draft statement of CYM purpose was sent to Monthly Meetings in late May with a request for feedback. We have received suggestions and we would like discussion at Representative Meeting on the draft statement. We ask you to consider it and send any more responses to email@example.com and have your representative prepared to speak to it at the next on-line Representative Meeting on July 4.
CYM draft ‘statement of purpose’ from the Change and Sustainable Transformation Working Group (CAST):
Canadian Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) unites its constituent Meetings to uphold faith and practice in the manner of Friends, seeking to be open to new Light as we collectively discern how we are led to witness in the world.
Draft Priorities for Canadian Yearly Meeting
In early June we sent to Monthly Meetings a draft statement of priorities for CYM to be discussed at Representative Meeting on July 4. It is as follows:
Priorities for Canadian Yearly Meeting, in no particular order, as drafted by CAST on June 4, 2020:)
- To support Friends in Canada with resources and connections that nurture the spiritual communities nationally, regionally and locally.
- To sustain a collective voice.
- To provide opportunities to learn about Friends’ ways and affirm our Quaker identity.
- To ensure our use of resources is sustainable in terms of volunteer energy, finances and environmental impacts.
- To support youth involvement within the Quaker community including provision of finances, staff resources, and assistance to pursue leadings and hold gatherings.
- To carry out the business of the yearly meeting in a worshipful manner, demonstrating
- our discernment process as a spiritual practice.
- To enable seekers to find and connect with Canadian Quakers
- To support the Canadian Friends Service Committee with peace and justice initiatives.
We are discussing ideas for restructuring how we do Yearly Meeting business. We believe that in 2021 we will need to have a national CYM in Session (in Winnipeg as planned), as it would not be good process to make substantial changes in our structure and format without a full face-to-face meeting. However, we suggest that our 2021 session can be modified from past practice to respond to some of the suggestions made during the Ad Hoc Committee on Financial Sustainability consultations.
We ask Representative Meeting to discuss the following recommendations:
- We recommend that CYM move more of its business to Representative Meeting. For example, Yearly Meeting in Session would be responsible for significant changes to our organization and our witness to the wider world. Representative Meeting would be responsible for all other decisions. Representative Meeting would need to meet twice a year and some decisions could be made by on-line conferencing.
- Over the years it has been mentioned that more CYM business could be done by Regional and Half-Yearly meetings. As the capability and willingness of these meetings to do Yearly Meeting business is not apparent, we recommend that CYM not delegate CYM business to regional meetings.
- We recommend that Clerks’ Committee be authorized to do CYM business that is of a practical and procedural nature. Some of the work can be done in joint meetings with CYM committees.
- We recommend that CYM in Session 2021 be held in Winnipeg as planned. However, we recommend that it be a five-day Yearly Meeting instead of eight and that CYM in Session have much shorter business sessions and focus mainly on spiritual renewal, peace and service, and Quaker education.
We are looking at a possible different structure for CYM in Session in the future to address travel and climate issues and to make CYM in Session accessible to more Friends.
CAST will also be addressing:
- supporting and engaging Quaker Youth
- CYM staffing
- sustainability from an environmental perspective, and
- financial sustainability
We look forward to input from all parts of our Canadian Yearly Meeting. Send replies to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Change and Sustainable Transformation Working Group (CAST): Marilyn Manzer (clerk), Virginia Dawson, Zaley Warkentin, Pete Cross, Celia Cheatley, Wesley Weima
Since Yearly Meeting in Session has been cancelled, the Committee of Clerks has made plans for several summer sessions of on-line Representative Meeting to conduct the business that normally would have been addressed at Yearly Meeting in Session this August.
The first one will be held on Saturday, June 20 at 1:30 Eastern time, 2:30 Atlantic time, 12:30 Central time, 11:30 Mountain time, and 10:30 Pacific time.
All the Documents in Advance that are ordinarily sent to the CYM office prior to Yearly Meeting should still be sent, though with a later deadline of the end of May. As usual, these reports will be posted to the Documents section of the Business webpage for Friends to read so that there can be well-discerned Monthly Meeting input to the Representative Meeting. There will be announcements here and to Monthly Meetings when they are ready.
In the meantime, an ad hoc group of Friends are working to make some of the programming and connection from Yearly Meeting in Session available to Friends in the coming months. They already have a noble acronym and name – IPASC, the Interim Program and Support Committee – and will soon be making announcements about this.
There are more details about the reasoning for this arrangement, the agenda for the first Representative Meeting, and IPASC in two letters from the Presiding Clerk:
It is that time of year again when we look at the needs of our Yearly Meeting and consider how we and those known to us may be of service.
Each year Canadian Yearly Meeting names people from all over the country to serve on standing committees and in individual positions in the Yearly Meeting. We ask these people to carry out, on our behalf, the work of the Society, and to provide support to those Friends working in social justice, ecumenism, and wider Quaker and world affairs.
With this package, we ask that Monthly Meetings and Standing Committees discern and forward names to CYM Nominating Committee as we discern a slate of names to bring to CYM in session in August for approval.
Included in this package is a List of Vacancies to be filled (with terms to begin at the rise of CYM in session August 2020), a list of Friends Currently Serving CYM Who Are Eligible for Renomination to a second three-year term, and a Nomination Form for nominees not currently serving on a committee to fill out
Please feel free to contact me or the other members of Nominating Committee, Charlotte Burch (Winnipeg MM), Sara avMaat (Halifax MM), Pauline McKenzie (Wooler MM) and Lilia Fick (Ottawa MM) if you have questions.
October 27, 2019
The Ad Hoc Committee on Financial Sustainability (AHCFS), formed at Representative Meeting November 2018, asks Canadian Friends to discern a financially sustainable and healthy system to be in place through 2020 and 2021.
This process was started at Yearly Meeting in Session 2019 at Winnipeg and continues with national consultation with the majority of Friends who do not attend the Yearly Meeting in Session. It is important that all voices are heard, including those of dissent. We are open to hearing Friends’ experiences in other not-for profit organizations.
There have been other consultations throughout the years and we recognize that we will be hearing many solutions that have been put forward in the past. AHCFS will direct your ideas to the appropriate committees to be brought forward for discernment to begin aligning our work and expenses with our evolving purpose.
Friends are asked to:
- Consider the entry describing the work of the Yearly Meeting in Organization & Procedure 6.1 and then consider the following queries.
- Choose any or all of the queries below and work through them in the fashion that works best for your Meeting or Worship Group; additional information can be requested at any time from the AHCFS at email@example.com
- Clerk your sessions carefully. Provide space for Spirit, as well as careful, informed discernment. A Claremont Dialogue format is strongly suggested.
- Please keep notes, not minutes, and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may also respond as an individual in confidence to the above email.
Queries for Discernment
- What is essential work and purpose of Canadian Yearly Meeting?
- If CYM was just beginning and being developed in 2020, what would it look like?
- Where do you think we should put our financial resources and focus our human energy?
Our deadline for receiving your notes is January 15, 2020. We encourage you to send them early. Please send all notes and any questions and comments to financial-sustainability @quaker.ca at any time prior to that date.
In the Light,
The Ad hoc Committee on Financial Sustainability: Anne Marie Zilliacus, Kris Wilson-Yang, Wesley Weima, Rachel Yordy, Maggie Knight, and CYM Secretary (Cam Fraser) ex officio.