We are hiring a General Secretary-Treasurer for Canadian Yearly Meeting (CYM).
Would you like to provide leadership to an organization that reflects your values? As the General Secretary-Treasurer of Canadian Yearly Meeting (CYM) of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), you will manage a small team of employees and contractors, along with many volunteers. CYM consists of 58 groups of Quakers spread across Canada. CYM facilitates worship, communication, procedures, social justice work, and education throughout the Quaker community. Your responsibilities will include financial advice to CYM and management of its budget. You will be accountable to the Trustees of CYM, and report directly to the Clerk.
You and your team will facilitate connections between meetings (virtual and face-to-face), and be responsible for minutes, documents, publications, and social media. You will need to develop relationships with local Meetings, CYM committees, Young Friends, and with other Quaker organizations including Canadian Friends Service Committee and Camp NeeKauNis.
Currently CYM is undergoing a major organizational transformation to become more functional and sustainable. The new role of General Secretary-Treasurer includes human resource management and financial management. Communication and data management skills will be critical competencies for members of your team. You will be instrumental in implementing and staffing the new structure.
Qualifications and Skills
- a university degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- experience leading and managing people
- experience in human resources management, (including knowledge of relevant Canadian legislation and regulations), financial management, and risk management
- experience with Quaker practices and Canadian Yearly Meeting (preferred) or experience with non-profit organization(s)
- experience supporting and facilitating volunteers (experience working with youth and young adults is an asset)
- knowledge of database programs & technology platforms related to organizational requirements
- understanding of and commitment to equity and inclusion in an organizational context
- excellent written and spoken communication skills in English (French fluency an asset)
- ability to nurture spiritual leading in self and others
- ability to take initiative and introduce efficiencies
- ability to live and work in Canada
Salary will be commensurate with education and experience, in alignment with the Canadian nonprofit sector. Salary includes benefits package and contribution to the employee’s registered retirement savings plan (RRSP). Flexibility of work hours is required for both employer and employee. Our office is in Ottawa, but employees may work remotely. CYM seeks to be a supportive work environment that values diversity and inclusion.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to before 5PM (EST) January 21, 2022. We thank you for your interest, however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.